Hope this helps to clarify the three possibilities when ‘authorities’ say United States.
- Most of the time they are speaking about the corporation, panel #3, on the right
- Other times they are speaking to people who live in the territories and the many employees of the federal government.
- When the President or VP speaks abroad, they’re talking about The-USofA, door #1 below. By the way, in panel #1, without United States, the postage rate is two cents.
- United States (govt) controlled vast areas in 1850. They want to keep it that way.
- ‘United States’ is short for ‘United States Government’. When they say ‘in the United States’ they mean ‘in the United States government’
- Four cents postage – Virginia to Tennessee, without United States
- Updated: Send letter with two-cents postage because thou lives without United States